Monday, August 29, 2011

"Hillside Oak"


Oil on panel, 8"x10"

I started this painting from a photo I took between Sisterdale and Fredericksburg, Texas, but after my initial block in I just wasn't happy with it. The photo is drab and lacking of any real beauty. I was initially attracted to the image because I liked the oak on the hillside but there is little else appealing about it. I decided to put the photo away and paint it the way I wanted it to look. I am much happier with it now. Much better to work from life anyway but it isn't spring, bluebonnets are not out and I am not in the Hill Country right now.

3 comments:

Susan Roux said...

I like your use of pink in this painting. Very nice feeling.

Virginia Floyd said...

Really nice, David. I think you are really progressing as a painter! Love the hazy hills in the background. Wonderful muted greens in the tree, and the reds (or pinks as Susan called them) really add warmth to the painting. Good job!

Diane Minuti said...

I really love the brilliant colors and the beautiful depiction of hills in the background.