Thursday, September 26, 2013

From the River Bank (Plein Air in Dubois Wyoming)

Plein Air Oil on linen panel, 9"x12"

I just got back last weekend from a week long workshop in Dubois Wyoming, the Susan Kathleen Black Foundation workshop. What a great experience and much more to come about that later in my blog. I painted 9 pieces plein air but they all took quite a bit of abuse as I painted in wind, sun, clouds, rain and cold and all combinations thereof. I do not have a wet panel carrier.... (sheeesh) so I would place my wet paintings in a bag to carry around. One painting fell into my palette and I had to scrape large amounts (globs) of paint off the bottom. The above painting is actually the one that happened to. Many have hand and or thumbprints from catching my falling easel in the wind. A couple had streaks from the rain drops on the painting repelling the paint as I applied it. But I got through it all and came home with fever and a cold. I have spent the week attempting to touch up the scratches, nicks and smears on all the pieces and make some small adjustments. I am rusty doing plein air work and it shows but it was a lot of fun.

No comments: