Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Wyoming Badlands Arroyo (Plein Air in Dubois, Wyoming)

Oil on panel, 9"x12"

I think this may have been my most successful piece while in Wyoming. I did have to repaint the sky after getting home, it had streaks and wasn't completely covered in paint, otherwise this is as it was completed in the Badlands of Wyoming. This scene reminded me of my many excursions to Big Bend. The land forms, colors and vegetation looked very familiar and made me feel like I was in Texas. The distant mountain actually has a well known and distinctive landmark named the Rams Horn as you can see in my setup photo below. I avoided painting that point because it would be way to distracting and stand out to much. By avoiding the peak it allows the eye to focus in the arroyo rather than the distant mountain.

My setup for the above painting.
My painting about 75% complete and about 2 hours in.



No comments: