Tuesday, December 9, 2008

"Holly" SOLD



Oil on archival Belgian linen panel, 10"x8" Commissioned painting

The process of daily painting can be extremely rewarding and challenging at the same time. Many artists like myself paint in what you would call a makeshift studio. I paint in the daytime only and paint by natural light as much as possible, but the last 2 weeks we have had our share of dreary days with little or no sunshine. For me, lack of sunshine has a tremendous effect on my well being as well as my painting, it is an essential element in my process. I have a difficult time judging my color and values when my studio area is not flooded with light. It was also extremely difficult to get usable photos of these last two paintings. The lack of light shifts the color in the photos and makes them inaccurate, but with a little persistence I finally got usable images. No doubt I have a long way to go to get better at my craft, and to overcome countless pitfalls and obstacles that many artists have to deal with.

No comments: